Brain activity is based on propagation of electrical impulses along the axons of nerve cells and synaptic transmission. Neurons connect with one another to form electrical circuits, which are further grouped into systems that finally make a neural network. One of the systems is the thalamocortical complex – the center of perception and a regulator of the attention and awareness levels. Improper functioning of the thalamo-cortico-thalamic loop may result in some psychotic and affective disorders.
Laboratory of Molecular Neurobiology explores molecular mechanisms regulating thalamic identity and function. We are interested in transcriptional control over differentiation and maturation of thalamic neurons, and regulation of thalamic axon growth and guidance to the cerebral cortex. The effects of disturbed development and maintenance of thalamocortical circuits are also under our investigation. We work with primary neuronal cultures, organotypic cultures and in vivo models. We use a variety of molecular biology, biochemistry and cell biology techniques. Collaboration with bioinformations, electrophysiologists and behaviorists is always welcome.
phone: +48 22 55 43690
ACADEMIC DEGREES AND EDUCATION
27/09/2013 – Habilitation degree in Biological Science, Nencki Institute of Experimental Biology in Warsaw
6/10/2000 – PhD degree in Biological Science, Nencki Institute of Experimental Biology in Warsaw
29/07/1994 – Master thesis in Genetics, University of Warsaw
2014 – present – Group Leader, Associate Professor (profesor UW), Centre of New Technologies, University of Warsaw
2013-2014 – Group Leader, Assistant Professor (adiunkt), Centre of New Technologies, University of Warsaw
2004-2013 – Senior Researcher, International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw
2001-2004 – Postdoctoral Fellow, Pasteur Institute in Paris
1996 – Trainee, Pasteur Institute in Paris
1994-2000 – Research Assistant, Nencki Institute of Experimental Biology in Warsaw
MEMBERSHIPS AND AWARDS
2016 – elected an extraordinary member of the Neurobiology Committee of the Polish Academy of Science
2015 – elected a member of the Warsaw Scientific Society
2013 – award of the Division of Biological Sciences, Polish Academy of Sciences, for a series of original research articles
2011 – Jerzy Konorski Prize for the best Polish publication in neurobiology in 2011, awarded by the Polish Neuroscience Society and Committee for Neurobiology of the Polish Academy of Sciences
2003 and 2004 – Bourse de la Fondation pour la Recherche Medicale
1996 – Bourse de Stage du Gouvernement Francaise
OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIPS IN PROFESSIONAL BODIES
2018, 2016 – Expert Panel member of the National Science Centre
2017 – present – member of the Selection Board at the Biology Department, University of Warsaw
2017 – Organising Committee member of the 13th International Congress of the Polish Neuroscience Society
2014 – Scientific Committee member of the 1st Congress of the Polish Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Biophysics and Bioinformatics “BIO 2014”
2014 – Organising Committee member of the 1st Congress of the Polish Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Biophysics and Bioinformatics “BIO 2014”
2014 – present – Scientific Council member of the Postgraduate School of Molecular Medicine (SMM)
2008 – present – a member of the Polish Neuroscience Society
ad hoc reviewer for Neuroscience, Acta Biochimica Polonica, Journal of Neurochemistry, International Journal of Biochemistry & Cell Biology, Scientific Reports, Translational Psychiatry, Current Drug Metabolism, Progress in Neurobiology, PLOS Biology, Molecular Neurobiology
- Misztal K, Brozko N, Nagalski A, Szewczyk LM, Krolak M, Brzozowska K, Kuznicki J, Wisniewska MB; TCF7L2 mediates the cellular and behavioral response to chronic lithium treatment in animal models. Neuropharmacology 10/2016; 113
- Nagalski A, Kozinski K, Wisniewska MB; Metabolic pathways in the periphery and brain: Contribution to mental disorders? Int J Cell Biol 2016; 80: 19-30
- Szewczyk LM, Brozko N, Nagalski A, Röckle I, Werneburg S, Hildebrandt H, Wisniewska MB, Kuznicki J; ST8SIA2 Promotes Oligodendrocyte Differentiation and the Integrity of myelin and axins. Glia 2016; 65: 34-49
- Nagalski A, Puelles L, Dabrowski M, Wegierski T, Kuznicki J, Wisniewska MB; Molecular anatomy of the thalamic complex and the underlying transcription factors. Brain Struct Funct 2016; 221: 2493-2510
- Mills F, Bartlett TE, Dissing-Olesen L, Wisniewska MB, Kuznicki J, Macvicar BA, Wang YT, Bamji SX; Cognitive flexibility and long-term depression (LTD) are impaired following -catenin stabilization in vivo. PNAS 2014; 111: 8631-8636
- Wisniewska MB; Physiological Role of β-catenin/TCF Signaling in Neurons of the Adult Brain. Neurochem Res 02/2013; 38: 1144-1155
- Wisniewska MB, Nagalski A, Dabrowski M, Misztal K, Kuznicki J; Novel β-catenin target genes identified in thalamic neurons encode modulators of neuronal excitability. BMC Genomics 2012; 13; 635
- Nagalski A, Irimia M, Szewczyk L, Ferran JL, Misztal K, Kuznicki J, Wisniewska MB; Postnatal isoform switch and protein localization of LEF1 and TCF7L2 transcription factors in cortical, thalamic, and mesencephalic regions of the adult mouse brain. Brain Struct Funct 2012; 218: 1531-1549
- Misztal K, Wisniewska MB, Ambrozkiewicz M, Nagalski A, Kuznicki J; WNT Protein-independent Constitutive Nuclear Localization of -Catenin Protein and Its Low Degradation Rate in Thalamic Neurons. J Biol Chem 2011; 286: 31781-31788
- Wisniewska MB, Misztal M, Michowski W, Szczot M, Purta E, Lesniak W, Klejman ME, Dabrowski M, Filipkowski RK, Nagalski A, Mozrzymas JW, Kuznicki J; LEF1/β -Catenin Complex Regulates Transcription of the Cav3.1 Calcium Channel Gene (Cacna1g) in Thalamic Neurons of the Adult Brain. J Neurosci 2010; 30: 4957-4969
Prof. Marta Barbara Wiśniewska
Joanna Maria Bem, PhD
Kamil Koziński, PhD
Andrzej Nagalski, PhD
Łukasz Szewczyk, PhD
Nikola Brożko, MSc
Michael Oluwatosin Gabriel, MSc
Marcin Lipiec, MSc
Chaitali Chakraborty, PhD
Tomasz Zajkowski, PhD
Katarzyna Brzozowska, MSc
Maria Domańska, MSc
Marta Jankowska, MSc
Kacper Posyniak, MSc
Alekstandra Stawikowska, MSc
|Title||Project Leader||Project period||Project funding|
|Changes in transcription factor isoforms as a mechanism to switch gene expression during the differentiation of thalamic neurons||Marta Barbara Wiśniewska||2018 - 2021||OPUS, NCN|
|The involvement of LEF1/TCF transcription factors in astrogenesis||Łukasz Szewczyk||2017 - 2020||SONATINA, NCN|
|Transcription factors and afferent connections in shaping molecular diversity of thalamic neurons||Marta Barbara Wiśniewska||2016 - 2019||OPUS, NCN|
|Metabolic and behavioral characterization of mice with conditional knockout of Tcf7l2, a risk gene for diabetes and schizophrenia||Andrzej Nagalski||2016 - 2019||OPUS, NCN|
|Działanie 1.1. RPO Mazowsze – Wzmocnienie sektora badawczo-rozwojowego||2014 - 2015||RPO WM|
Lipiec M.A., Bem J., Koziński K., Chakraborty C., Urban-Ciećko J., Zajkowski T., Dąbrowski M., Szewczyk Ł.M., Angel Toval A., Ferran J.L., Nagalski A., Wiśniewska M.B.
Sardar D., Cheng Y-T., Szewczyk L.M., Deneen B., Molofsky A.V.
Patterning and Cell Type Specification in the Developing CNS and PNS- Second Edition, 2020
Bem, J., Brożko, N., Chakraborty, C., Lipiec, M. A., Koziński, K., Nagalski, A., ... & Wiśniewska, M. B.
FEBS letters, 593 (13), 1654-1674
Nieznanska, H., Bandyszewska, M., Surewicz, K., Zajkowski, T., Surewicz, W. K., & Nieznanski, K. (2018).
Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA)-Molecular Basis of Disease, 1864(6), 2143-2153
Misztal, K., Brozko, N., Nagalski, A., Szewczyk, L. M., Krolak, M., Brzozowska, K., ... & Wisniewska, M. B. (2017).
Neuropharmacology, 113, 490-501.
Szewczyk, L. M., Brozko, N., Nagalski, A., Röckle, I., Werneburg, S., Hildebrandt, H., ... & Kuznicki, J. (2017).
Glia, 65(1), 34-49.
Nagalski, A., Kozinski, K., & Wisniewska, M. B. (2016).
The international journal of biochemistry & cell biology, 80, 19-30.
Nagalski, A., Puelles, L., Dabrowski, M., Wegierski, T., Kuznicki, J., & Wisniewska, M. B. (2016).
Brain Structure and Function, 221(5), 2493-2510.
|Title||Deadline for applications|
|PhD student in Laboratory of Molecular Neurobiology||07/12/2019|